Daily Verse

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

no greater joy

I am a son, a friend, a colleague, a brother, a believer, a husband, a warrior, a fighter, a peace maker, a leader, a man, and a father. I AM A FATHER! It should be futile for me to attempt to describe through a rainbow of words the outflow from my heart that comes with being a FATHER. I suppose some might find peace in the notion that our children are not our own, but God’s, who has entrusted us with the stewardship and nurturing of His precious gift. For me however that stewardship comes with a great and burdeness joy, perhaps like that of Gideon as he stood at the Spring of Harod awaiting war, awaiting victory.

My children are my heart, a heart that yearns for authentic joy and love, the kind of love that can only be exemplified by our Lord and savior as He gave His only son to die because He loves me. What kind of love that must be that I have been given but a glimpse of through the eyes of love that my heart radiates for my son and daughter. So tonight as I cuddle with my son telling nighttime stories of trains and race cars, I will stop in a moment of meditation and thank my Lord for loving me, for creating me as man, and entrusting me with the hearts of his precious gifts that are my beloved. You see authentic joy lies in those moments of seed sowing in the fertile soil of family and those things of eternal consequence and significance. It is the pursuit of the temporal (career, money, car’s ect.) that breeds a temporary joy and an eternal thirst.

Nehemiah 4:14

4 comments:

hot potato said...

i love the post, babe. you are really quite an amazing father to our children. i watch you with the kids and it calms me when your eyes light up each time one of them needs you. just that response alone is building in them a strong sense of security. those strong non-verbal building blocks. they love you for that. you are an opportunist when dealing with them ....even if it's just to change their diaper. i definitely see your "sweet spot" (your intention, your purpose) has shifted from the pursuit of personal time and personal activities to the pursuit of being personally active in the lives of your babies...the greatest position you will ever hold in this life. i sense that you know this is true. i am proud. i lovingly owe you many thank-you's. your attitude allows me the freedom to be my best as your spouse, partner, friend and the mother of your children. fatherhood looks good on you :)

phillycheese said...

Wow, bro. I felt like i was reading Oswald Chambers. Great post and great comment sis-in-law. Fatherhood is unlike any experience i've had. and i cherish it daily.

it's been hard being away from all of you for so long but i'm so thrilled to see and hear the love that you guys have for each other, your kids, and for God. we are all very blessed aren't we?

Anonymous said...

Jake,

Good post. The fruit of a life lived with purpose is seeing the same seeds planted in the next generation. You, as a father, are planting seed that has been tested and proven true. The sweetness of the fruit that grows is incomperable. The experience of watching you and Beth shape that fruit is one of the great joys of our lives.
Dad

SPARKY said...

jake all i can say is i love you and i know you'd always be a great husband and father. that's why i wanted to marry someone just like you. thankfully god gave that to me...you're an amazing person










© 2007. All Rights Reserved.
 

I Was Thinking...

"If your vision is for a year, plant wheat. If your vision is for ten years, plant trees. If your vision is for a lifetime, plant people."

ShoutBox


Designed